Thursday, February 14, 2008

Bali Baby!

So since I last left you I was in Malaysia. I can say that except for the other travellers that I met at the guesthouse I didn't care for it much. I couldn't leave when I wanted to because of the Chinese new year that lasted 4 days and everything was closed and buses weren't running. I finally made it to Kuala Lumpur to catch my flight to Bali, but here is where it gets interesting. I had heard that a 2 month visa was available opon entry to the country, that was false. I spent the 15 hours in K.L. sleeping about 4 hours and then going to the Indo embassy trying to get a visa that takes two days to get in one day. Keep in mind that if I couldn't get the visa that means about $250 extra to do a visa run a month from now and I'm on a budget people. Luckly my hard work and puppy dog eyes got me a visa 2 hours prior to my flight leaving which sounds great but the airport is an hour drive away and check-in closes 45 mins. prior to departure. I had a taxi driver wait for me to get my visa and then book it to the airport. I get to the airport with time to spare and end up having a feast on the plane considering that I had not eaten since 7am and it was now 5:30pm. Then the captain of the plane comes on the loudspeaker and says "Excuse me for a second folks, but I just thought that you would be happy to know that the weather in Bali is 95 degrees and is sunny with clear skies. At this point all I want to do is sleep and wake up in beautiful Bali. I get about an hour of sleep before the plane hits some serious turbulence which continues for the remaining 2 hours. My second stroke of good luck is that my plane was the last to land before the closed the airport because we had been flying through the storm that was hitting Bali at that moment. It was pissing down rain and I thought 'damn it is going to suck to try and find a guesthouse in this weather'. By the time I got through customs and get a taxi to the area I was going to stay it was clear and ended up being a beautiful night. Now the hunt is on for a surf board and some good breaks. The next post will be shortly after my first Balisian barrell.
Until next time,
Jason

No comments: